A web-browser based FX wallet (Not A MetaMask)

Voted yes! I personally use brave and mostly deal with my crypto wallet on the browser and seldom with my phone, so this would be a great addition to the products that support the F(x) ecosystem. I wonder if we could eventually shop online and use the wallet on our browser to pay directly.

1 Like
  • Expose an endpoint for you to connect to the f(x)core blockchain network

Good idea.

we would like to add/amend 2 milestones:

• Onboarding 500 unique users

Sure, I think we can check how many people downloaded/installed the extension from the Chrome web store, otherwise putting some kind of tracking code would be not a good idea.

Able to pass security penetration testing

Using GitHub Actions, we can design such tests. Also by integrating with Dependabot, it should propose upgrades and keep up to date the code with the latest safe-known versions of used libraries.

3 Likes

@kenorb I encourage you to put up a this proposal for governance voting. The governance voting opens on around 15th - 20th October 2021 and will continue until all EGF funds are allocated, which take some years.

6 Likes

Proposal has been created: Function X StarScan (ready to be voted).

7 Likes

Nammy project also aims to run a validator and certain % (from staking rewards), minus server maintenance costs, will go back to development fund (for bounties) and another % to reward pool (which will giveaway FX from the pool to users at certain pre-defined rules).

2 Likes

Congratulations @kenorb.

@Richard will get in touch to support you on some technical details, and also to share your proposal in our internal weekly developer session. The developers that are running the foundation validators will also vote for it :slight_smile:

Also, u have Twitter?

4 Likes

Awesome, can’t wait to try the desktop wallet! Will you be getting some audits for bug checking, just incase? Like checking for any security issues.

• Web extension usually runs in a separate space, so nothing external or another extension won’t be able to access it (unless bugs in the browser itself or malware on the computer). There are many password managers which got a browser extensions used by millions and it seems they’re safe to use (if the code is right).
  • Once mnemonics are going to be input, they won’t be stored anywhere in the memory during the session, but converted into user’s password encrypted key or data instead.
  • Strong warnings needs to be added, so people won’t forgot to write down their words (in case of new setup, not the import).
  • Access is going to be protected by the password and each transaction will require it to type. Without the password you’re going to be in read-only mode all the time.
  • Code is going to be checked for bugs. Tests can be written.
  • We can arrange bug bounty fund (from validator rewards) to reward people who find security bugs.
3 Likes

Will it allow export of Fx core address private keys like in other wallets? @kenorb
FX wallet doesn’t have this private key export feature

Definitely for the command-line version, for the extension code it depends (whether it’s going to safe to do it). It’s possible to export right after typing mnemonics. But in the later stages, it depends on the initial design what type of encrypted data is going to be stored.

1 Like

Voted Yes.

1 Like

one question got into my mind as i saw the proposal. I cant see in the proposal how many coins are requested. Am i blind, or is it just not shown there? i mean i know that he want to request 100k out of the forum, but its not obvious in the proposal itself. Could that be changed @zaccheah ?

Ideally this should show below the Initial Deposit, so it would be good to add it.

Currently you can only see it in JSON dump like 100000000000000000000000.

To convert into human-format, check the suggestions from: How to convert long format prices (with lots of zeros) into FX?. Basically you need to remove 18 zeros from the end.

@kenorb I have reached out to you privately to discuss this project further

2 Likes
  • Mechanics: Javascript based (Node.js) software, compatible with Chrome and Firefox web browsers (and similar), used to interact with the FX blockchain by connecting to the specified node (without need to synchronizing a full node).

I wonder what is targeted by the ‘specified node’ ? Which node is that? Can I select one, or is it fixed ?

It can be selectable by the user (node and type of network: testnet or mainnet).

1 Like

Guys and girls, please vote it’s the last day.

7 Likes

Myself and many other people are quite concerned about the future of EGF proposals now that the first one made by a non-pundi staffer has failed.

Can we please have a post-mortem on the low participation and failure here?

I for one would immediately request a refund of kenorbs FX considering what happened and a very clear path forward for any future proposal makers to garner success.

This is a terrible look for the project and any aspiring developer wanting to access our fund pool is going to have serious doubts about losing money. $13,000 is a near criminal loss at this point for kenorb.

9 Likes

Zac,

A lot of people don’t use the Forums or Telegram and may not even use Twitter, you have to find a better way to reach those people or they don’t know there are even proposals to vote on. Telchar made a good suggestion, everyone uses the FX wallet to delegate, as you can see by the strong delegation numbers, and I bet a lot of people check on their FX wallet daily to see how much they’ve gained or even to check it’s still there; therefore, why not create a notification in the FX wallet that there’s a proposal to be voted on. I’m sure you’ll get more people involved this way.

6 Likes