f(x)Core Mainnet Validator General Discussion & Enquiries

this is a great idea.

Great ideas in this thread.
I tend to say, we need it all.

As a delegator, for me a couple of things are important;

1. Trust.
    I like to make my delegation almost a little personal. So therefor chosen to delegate to validators i “know” for some time.
    Trust comes from both sides so in this i completely agree with Telchar.

2. Performance and security
    In this there is to little insight, other then some messages from validator on Twitter.
    I would like to see uptime, downtime, server specs etc. on the explorer and the validator overview page.
    Imho almost a must.

For me these are most important.
Much more then a commission rate.

And i like the idea of the validator badge (gives trust) and the insurance pool.

And 1 question.
When validator is slashed or jailed or down, or whatever, my initial delegated coins are save right?
And i can, at any time, access my delegated coins?
That there are no rewards build up in that downtime is clear, thats my own calculated risk.

Sorry for the question, i was at the all hands zoom meeting, but my boss bothered me all the time…:smile: so could not follow everything that was told.
And thougt there were questions about that?

At the meeting, it was said that if a validator gets jailed, delegators will also not be able to unbond until after 21 days. That’s why i proposed being able to see performance and security first while slowly gaining trust.

The insurance pool from cop4200 is a really smart idea.

For example, KuCoin lending - 15% of all lender’s profits will be taken and be put into an insurance pool and that was the condition to be able to lend out. It was a must-have criteria from the start.

If Richard and the team can somehow make our DPoS into a DPoS with Insurance, i think we would be the freaking first in the whole space.

Can you imagine people’s reaction when they hear of staking with insurance? Especially whales and smart investors? I don’t know if this is even feasible at all but if you guys are able to pull it off, it would be a blast and also a FIRST IN THE WORLD.

That way, the floor of the commissions can be slightly higher but that is okay because it comes with a additional strong layer of security.

Example:
5% Commission broken down into = 4% commission + 1% insurance pool.

It is a win-win-win scenario.

Investors win - people will feel safer to ape in bigtime with insurance
Validators win - pretty decent starting floor for commissions
Network wins - high security and lesser circulating supply

I don’t see how this can go wrong. And i can already sort of picture people’s reaction if there is DPoS with insurance backing.

The insurance pool for each validator will be stacking up constantly overtime and should be visible at the explorer so each delegator can see how much insurance fund there is in each validator. Also that means there will be lesser circulating supply in the market.

Also to encourage people to shift from company hosted validators, company-hosted validator can opt out of the insurance fund and just have a standardized commission rate that is high enough for people to shift over.

We should have a “Running Days” column too because people tend to delegate to the validator that has their skin dip the longest - basically a veteran in the space which is all of our early public validators.

4 Likes

We are fairly new and I dont think we need to jump guns to make this super fast by some or the other means.

agree with both @wolfpack64 & @SCENE

@Richard what do you mean by “Reduce the tax and fee ratio of the community pool” ?

If you refer to this part of the document, before fees are distributed, there is a 40% tax applied and this will go to the community fund. this fund will be used for community upgrades/proposals…

@Jan

And 1 question .
When validator is slashed or jailed or down, or whatever, my initial delegated coins are save right?
And i can, at any time, access my delegated coins?
That there are no rewards build up in that downtime is clear, thats my own calculated risk.

you may refer to this part of the document for more clarity @SCENE . But essentially your original stake will be subjected to slashing conditions, not your rewards. With regards to redelegation and unbonding, the same rules apply.

@cop4200 will take note of the insurance suggestion. there are many different ways that we could design this and very good thinking!

Would love to hear from the others @kenorb @ClaudioxBarros @Telchar @FrenchXCore @AquillaX

2 Likes

@Richard Above gitbook links doesn’t open without login, can you correct them?

Delegators can redelegate at instant (unless they’re in vesting process).

Hmm but according to yesterday’s AMA at 14:00min - if the validator gets jailed, the delegator won’t be able to redelegate although this is for double signing i think. :thinking:

I think there’s no need to complicate. is just make only the validator can be slash. not delegators

2 Likes

Also it’s good to note that the current ~30% APY isn’t coming from validator’s transactions (as there are not many transactions going on), but from FX yearly distribution pool. So even if the validator goes offline for 24h, you’re still going to get most from your daily APY (minus fees from transactions which didn’t happen). Jail for validator happens after ~27.7hours of being offline. So you’ve plenty of time to redelegate. However you won’t know if the validator is offline, as it’s going to show still Active on the Explorer for the first few hours (as there is no Uptime).
In general your funds are safe at the smart contract address, not at the validator’s place, so they can’t run away with it.
Question is, whether the slashing will happen after redelegation during vesting even after you redelegated or not. In my opinion, it won’t slash you, if you redelegate within the first ~27.7h when validator goes offline (before it gets jailed).

1 Like

@Richard if team is implementing performance metrics tracking, then having a sort option for the list of active validators will be helpful (i.e ability to sort list by commission rate, uptime , insurance pool size etc)

@Richard Above gitbook links doesn’t open without login, can you correct them?

@kenorb: done

Hmm but according to yesterday’s AMA at 14:00min - if the validator gets jailed, the delegator won’t be able to redelegate although this is for double signing i think. :thinking:

@SCENE my bad. you can actually redelegate if the validator is in jail. i was thinking about something else with regards to unbonding not redelegating…if a validator is INACTIVE and NOT JAILED then you can unbond anytime without suffering the 21 day lock out period. more information can be found here: What are the different states a validator can be in

I think there’s no need to complicate. is just make only the validator can be slash. not delegators

actually delegators for that particular validator will also get slashed. if you vote in a lousy government, and that government makes really bad policies. the entire country suffers. government (validator) and citizens (delegators) included. You may refer to the updated What are the slashing conditions document and How will delegators choose their validators? Reason being delegators should do their due diligence and choose a validator with good uptime and behaves honestly, if not they too will suffer the consequences.

@Richard if team is implementing performance metrics tracking, then having a sort option for the list of active validators will be helpful (i.e ability to sort list by commission rate, uptime , insurance pool size etc)

@cop4200 @FrenchXCore Actually you can also do your own checks on other validator’s uptime for now through the CLI, you may check the commands here: Checking block information and validators signatures you may run these commands and check the signatures. you may consider writing a script for it to check who has signed or hasn’t and you can deduce which validator has missed a block. And agreed to your suggestion. I have already added most of your suggestions into the product pipeline. Some others will require governance voting. I will keep you guys updated and maybe even consider creating more transparency with regards to pipeline and deliverable.

2 Likes

Thanks @Richard !!

Hi everyone, was thinking of opening up a product pipeline board for f(x)core related upgrades/issues so it would be easy for everyone here to keep track of updates as well as being kept up to date with deliverables. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for this? Especially with regards to what platform to use so that it is easily accessible to the public (does not require any login credentials)? Would like to hear your suggestions and feedback on this.

4 Likes

That would be an awesome idea. Like a living roadmap.

Maybe it can be added to the functionX website, since it’s kind of a roadmap. Than that’s a link that can be shared throughout the social media canals.

And I’m curious how expectations will be managed, because it’s obviously that people see work that will be done and stick the team to certain progress. Would be carefull to not get people burn the team down because they’re not spot on with closing story cards.

If it’s just to create a visibility of what has happened and what is going to happen than it wouldn’t be an issue, but if dates will be used it can be a trigger for FUD.

If more pops up my mind I’ll definitely share it.

1 Like

An idea would be to have a dropdown list for the “Developer” column on the Function X website.

Something like Cardano, their “Developer” has a drop down list and a section where it says - Developer’s Update

By clicking that, everyone including, developers and non-developers can see progress is being made even if non-developers don’t understand.

Basically an all-in-one update list, like what version is being updated to what.

Example:
Day 1 : v1.0
Day 4 : Fixed Bugs
Day 15: v1.1
Day 30: v2.0
Day 70: Fixed Bugs
Day 88: v2.2

1 Like

That would definitely be great…
Couldn’t this be done thru the github ?

1 Like

Welcome Scale Moment Group, the 47th Validator of the Function X Network!

Do read their description.

4 Likes

Just a point to note for validators here, we will be increasing the commission rate for all internal validators to 5%. This will hopefully result in some redistribution of funds.

But also lets help ourselves in giving delegators a vote of confidence by

• Increasing your self-delegation amount for eg. like Alif who has 10,210FX self delegated @l4zyboi @cop4200

• Being proactive in the community, helping others and showcasing their work like @ClaudioxBarros @kenorb and this clearly shows their capabilities in programming and running a validator node

• Being transparent with their validator’s actions, notifying the public way in advance for any increase in commission rate like @FrenchXCore

These are just some initiatives taken by some of the validators. Let us think out of the box and strive to build a more cohesive, secure and decentralized community and network.

8 Likes

These are all good points.
I redelegated my fx to public validators from day one pure based on trust and “knowing” the validator(s) of my choice by name and community activity and testnet experience.
For some that maybe sound a little naive.
But so far so good :slightly_smiling_face:.

Besides the transparant communication, which i find realy important, another thing is the hardware and security side of the validator nodes.
Don’t read much about that.
It maybe a little technical, and i don’t have to understand the technical aspect of a node completely, but it’s an important thing and gives trust to delegators.
Would like to read more about that.
Like f.e. @ClaudioxBarros does in validator description and website.

That, combined with uptime are for me important things.

(Low) commission rate is nice, but
Stability and security and insight in uptime are way more important to me.

Btw, rhe self-delegation amount seems low to me in most validator nodes.
Is that amount ment for some sort of security amount to show delegators your dedication to run a node?

3 Likes

the 5 company validators which has already 5% commission fee has also increased by 1%. I dont know if this is a mistake or not. @Richard