Update: BOB Phone will not go into production

Hi,

I hope to hear more about the status of BOB phones under this topic.

Regards.

MakeTheSwitch

If I’m not mistaken we should see a release Q4 2021

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you. I can see that BOB phone sale has been closed for sometime. BOB: World's 1st Blockchain Phone | Indiegogo

I like to know when BOB phones sale will resume.

Regards.

MakeTheSwitch

1 Like

@Walter_FX_FunctionX any answer you could provide on this?

This is a statement from a few months ago from Pundi/Function X team:

BOB updates

Dear Function X Member,

We have previously announced that due to Covid-19 there were changes to our supply chain partners for the production of BOB in the People’s Republic of China. While all of our developers are back to work — remotely or in person — we are still facing production challenges: our manufacturer’s new minimum order requirement has increased and we’re unsure at the moment whether or not we’ll be able to meet that requirement.

We are, nonetheless, continuously working on BOB and its operating system powered by Function X, underpinning BOB, but what goes far beyond just BOB, is the Function X blockchain. As you know, we’ve made promising progress in this area. We’ve had successful launches of Testnet 1.0 and Testnet 2.0 and the final Testnet, 3.0 will be soon be activated prior to the launch of Mainnet. Considering the increase in the manufacturer’s minimum requirement of orders that BOB has to meet, the current production plan may not coincide with the launch of Mainnet.

While many of you have continued to support us, we also understand the frustration surrounding the delay of BOB and the uncertainty regarding production and delivery. Because of this, we would like to reiterate our long-standing policy of providing a full refund to those of you who would like. All you need to do is send a request for refund together with proof of payment to preorder@functionx.io. Supporters will be refunded the full amount of their crypto or fiat payment; in other words, if you have paid in BTC you will be eligible for a refund of the full amount of BTC. The same goes for fiat currencies.

In addition, as a sign of our appreciation for your support and patience, Function X Foundation will also pass on the FX token equivalent of USD 300 (50% of the full retail price) to supporters opting for a refund from December 15, 2020 onward. Refunds will be transferred to supporters’ XWallet accounts.

Thank you for your continuous support of our projects.

Sincerely,
Function X Team

3 Likes

Thanks @Walter_FX_FunctionX Yes that was the statement released.

I like to know when BOB phones sale will resume. I believe more will be keen to purchase after fx mainnet launch , assuming a successful fx mainnet launch.

It will be good to address this in the next issue of HASH OUT @zaccheah .

Regards.

MakeTheSwitch

1 Like

There’s no way for now to approximate that, it has to do with the supply chain shortages and us hitting the minimum supply order required by the manufacturer.

1 Like

Hey there @eduardstal I’ve used to do business with Chinese suppliers.

If you need to reduce the min supply order, you have different options:

1. You can “buy” a few prototypes (that actually work), but trying to selling them. If the market accept them as good as we all think, then you know that your product is the one people want. And you’ll have no doubt to order the min quantity supplier wants.

2. You can make an agreement with another mobile phone company to make an order together. Maybe your phone case will be the same, but you’ll have your phones and then you’ll install your code.

3. Finally, there is another option. Maybe you can make a deal with an investment fund. They buy your phones first directly to the supplier, then you can buy them to the investment fund. Key is that you’ll buy the number of phones you need when you need. The price you pay for them will be higher, but only at the beginning. When demand increases you’ll can finish the contract with the investment fund, and you’ll the phones directly to the supplier.

All together will change this world to a better one.

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, we’ll be looking into them.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that @DavidK (David Ben Kay) is on this team. His knowledge, experience, and connections are solid.

I think we still start to see the :jigsaw: pieces coming together soon.

1 Like

Just make sure you’ll sent the first incoming BOB as a present to Elon & put some of his favorite coins on it :wink:

2 Likes

Instead of Elon, let’s send one over to Lew. He has half a million subs on YouTube and is the go to for reviews on tech.

Also maybe sending one over to Marques Brownlee. These two would most definitely propel :eyes: on functionx

1 Like

Lew’s channel would be a cool shout-out, I think the channel content would also be appropriate with the BOB phone. If anyone has contacts for YouTubers that are suitable for our products feel free to get in contact with me or anyone from the rest of the team.

1 Like

I sent over an email to Lew about 30 mins ago. Awaiting response.

1 Like

My suggestion is use existing phone from a brand , a good one from a early generation
is possible to make a good deal with a brand for a top early generation phone
EX: Xiaomi Mi9 Blockchain editions

3 Likes

I had sent these guys messages a while back, including many more top youtubers. It would be great if we can actually send them the BOB once fully ready.

I am sure they have forgotten about it. Near launch of BoB, a reminder would be needed absolutely. Edward Snowden as well.

I am very bullish about BOB.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can find my old list of suggestions I made regarding BOB.

On that list it had the type of industries to market Bob to, such as solicitors firms, etc in short privacy orientated sectors. It can help down the road.

1 Like

True, also the organic talks that are occurring online now are great resource.

One question, I don’t have a hate intention, but could you tell why the phisical blockachain phone BOB is superior against software based DENT? I mean BOB has two operating mods Ordinary and Blockchain. DENT is bullt for every kind of mobile phones, blockchains should be just a way of how “informations”/ Data is used . Does it mean that Bob’s main competitors are projects like DENT?

1 Like

Physical blockchain phones will become nodes in FX Core blockchain. I won’t say it is superior to software based offering similar features. I don’t think that is the main competitor. It is integral to what PUNDIX is hoping to achieve by having nodes operating with FX Core blockchain widely distributed through physical machines (XPOS terminals, BOB Phones, and perhaps physical machines/IOT operating with FX Core blockchain with other forms/functions in the future).

1 Like